Auntie Min’s Creamy Vegetable Soup
1/2 bunch blanched Swiss chard, leaves into 1” slices, stems into ½” slices
1 head of cauliflower, core removed, cut into florets
4 tablespoons organic or grass-fed butter
1 medium sweet potato, peeled, roughly chopped into 1/3” cubes
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 small yellow onion, peeled, diced
2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
1 cup broccoli, roughly chopped
2 quarts chicken broth
1/4 cup water
sea salt and pepper
toasty bread, optional (I recommend a whole wheat or sprouted grain bread)
sliced grilled chicken sausage (optional)
freshly grated Pecorino Romano or parmesan cheese, optional
1. Toss cauliflower florets, 2 T melted butter, plenty of sea salt and pepper on
baking sheet. Roast at 350º for 20 min or until toasty brown, stirring halfway.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a stock pot over medium low heat.
Add carrots, celery, and onion, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
until vegetables are soft.
3. Add sea salt, pepper, thyme, sweet potatoes and broth to the pot. Cover pot
and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce heat back to medium and cook 10 to 15
minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
4. Place roasted cauliflower in a blender with 1/4 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of
butter and blend until well combined. Use more broth from the pot if necessary.
5. When potatoes are fork tender, add broccoli, cauliflower purée and chard and
cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Swiss chard – Swiss chard, is rich in chlorophyll, a natural detox agent. To blanch, place sliced chard in boiling water for no more than 3 min and drain. Rinse with cold water. This removes excess acid from the chard and gives it a sweeter flavor.
- Cauliflower –it’s high sulfur and antioxidant content is believed to help boost your body’s detoxification work.